Brazilian fireworks plant is a tropical flower that has beautiful purple and pink spikes cluster flowers. It is also known as ‘porphyrocoma pohliana maracas.’ The reason why it is termed the ‘Brazilian firework’ is that it shoots out seeds just like fireworks when the plant color fades. It is a unique plant with beautiful silver veins and floral flowers. The bi-color pink/purple spikes flower clusters add a burst of color, interest, and even projects a tropical vibe.
It can be grown indoors and outdoors. But because of its fascinating beautiful nature, it is more ideal indoors as a houseplant. Moreover, because of its shrubby structure, it’s more impressive when you grow them in containers as compared to when you plant them on the ground. Brazilian fireworks are annual plants, and you can grow them all year round. And are easy to plant and maintain. Here is a guide on how to plant and care for them.
How to grow Brazilian fireworks
- Firstly you have to prepare the area you are going to plant them
- To add more nutrients to the soil and help it improve its drainage. Add organic nutrients and organic manure, these will encourage the earthworms and other organisms that are good for the plants. To make and keep the soil healthy, add balanced all-purpose feed or fertilizer.
- Dig deep holes and make sure there are at the same level as it was in the container.
- Make sure the holes are spaced. Planting them close together affects their growth as there will be competing for nutrients, water, and light. This will result in them having fewer blooms and potentially dying.
- Carefully remove the plants from their containers. Make sure you don’t break the stem.
- Carefully push the soil around the roots and make sure that you fill up space around the root ball with soil. When you are done gently, fix the ground around the plants using your hands.
- Build a wall or supporting structure. This will help support your Brazilian fireworks stem and give them enough space to grow freely.
- When you are done, you can now water. For the first couple of weeks, you have to water the plants daily so that the plant settles in.
How to grow them in a container
- Choose a container with a drainage hole at the bottom. Fill up the container with potting soil.
- Use your hand to create a small hole in the container that a bit bigger than the root ball
- Put the plant in the hole and firmly press the soil around the roots.
- When you have finished potting the plants, thoroughly water the plants.
- Place in a bright area for it to grow well.
How to care for Brazilian firework plants
Brazilian fireworks are easy to grow and care for. For them to thrive, they require the right amount of water, light, temperature. If you apply the right conditions, you won’t have any problems at all.
You have to choose fertile, rich soil with proper drainage. It is ideal for the plants as it keeps the soil moisture. Brazilian fireworks thrive in productive, well-drained soil. If you are going to grow them in the container, use an all-purpose potting mix.
You have to plant them in a partly shaded area. Indoors you can also grow them in a bright space with no direct sunlight. You can add a grow light if the plant requires extra help.
Only water them daily for the first couple of weeks. Throughout its growth and blooming season, always keep the soil moist. Preferably water the plants at least twice a week. Overwatering will cause the plants to saturate and cause the roots to rot. Moreover, water your plants at the soil level and make sure water doesn’t get on the leaves
Brazilian fireworks is a heat-loving tropical plant. It thrives in warm temperature. It requires 30 degrees Fahrenheit to 40 degrees Fahrenheit temperature that is 1 degree to 4 degrees.
Apply nutritionally balanced fertilizer. You can apply either liquid feeds, slow-release, granulated or organic fertilizer. Preferably apply liquid fertilizer and use the measurements on the container. Apply small amounts once every month during the growing season. Too much fertilizer can damage the plant. Putting fertilizer will encourage your plants to bloom.
Pruning will make the plants look good. You can prune it if you want a particular shape or size. Remove faded flowers. This will stimulate new growth and encourage more blooms.
In conclusion, the Brazilian fireworks plant is a beautiful plant with fabulous pink-purple spike cluster flowers. Even when it hasn’t bloomed, the silver-tinged leaves are quite a beautiful sight. Like the name depicts, this plant is truly a spectacle. This plant is guaranteed to brighten up your house, garden, even your office. It’s perfect even for first-timers as it easy to grow and care for.